Sunday, December 28, 2008

4

Q: If you could spend one year in perfect happiness but afterward would remember nothing of the experience, would you do so? If not, why not?

A: At first I was going to respond that of course I would, as I would be no better or worse off from having had that year and not remembering it.  But to not remember a whole year of your life - that would be difficult for me to stomach.  I already have several periods of time in my life that I'm unable to remember because I dreamed them away, or wished they weren't happening, and I look back and wonder how I could have been so incredibly stupid, to waste my time in such a way.  I think I would feel the same about a year that I voluntarily chose the option of not remembering.

As for the 'perfect happiness' bit, a Patrick Wolf lyric,

if you've never lost, how you gonna know when you've won?
if it's never dark, how you gonna know the sun?

No comments:

Post a Comment